Saturday, August 24, 2013

Stitch Fix Review -- Is Third Time the Charm??


So, my third Stitch Fix arrived this week, and here is my very first review! When I was contemplating scheduling my first "fix," I read tons of blog reviews, and I thought how fun it would be to do one. But I didn't have a blog back then, and now I do, so here we go! (If you are wondering what in the heck I'm talking about, click here >>> to catch up!)

A bit about my first two fixes: The first one was pretty much a bust because I wasn't specific enough on my style profile, and I ended up with some beautiful pieces that either didn't suit my style, or didn't suit my lifestyle (I'm a mama, yo.). All of the pieces were a great fit, beautiful, and high quality. They just weren't me, so I sent everything back.

The second fix had some great basic pieces that were definitely more my style, but nothing really knocked my socks off. I could definitely tell that the changes I made to my style profile had improved the situation, though. I ended up keeping a gorgeous gold necklace that reminded me of the little coins that dangle from a belly dancing skirt. I loved it, and the price was great. Score for not losing my styling fee!

I ended up with a bit of credit since someone signed up using my referral link, so here I am with my third fix. This time, the stylist really nailed it. I could tell as soon as I opened the box that we had at least a couple of winners. I had asked for a lightweight denim jacket and some red or cobalt blue jeans in this fix. A personal note in the box explained that they didn't have any of those pieces in stock at the moment, but that she had selected another colorful pair of jeans that she thought might work.



The first item out of the box was a Subtle Luxury "Batik Dot Scarf" (I am wearing it in the photo above). It was long and lovely, with tassels on the ends. And it made the best little knot in the front. I was on the fence about the color, though. Right now, my mind is on fall, and I was afraid the scarf might be a little too Springy looking.

Next were the pink Kensie "Winnie Ankle Length Skinny Jeans." I didn't think I'd consider these, because cobalt and red denim are both on my fall wish list, and I can't imagine buying another pair of jeans until those wishes are fulfilled. But then I slipped them on. OMG, they were so soft and stretchy, and fit me like a glove, honestly. I luuuuuurved them.

The third item was the Olive & Oak "Allania Striped Jersey Tank." I had mentioned in my style profile that I love black and white, that I love racer backs, and that I love to flaunt my shoulders (hey, they asked!!). And man, I don't think I've ever met a racer back I didn't like, so yeah, I loved this piece, too.

The final piece that I tried on was the Gentle Fawn "Reece Mixed Striped Key-Hole Tie Top." When I saw this top in the box, I knew I would like it. The fabric was oh-so-soft, the color and pattern attracted me immediately, and it looked like it would have a gorgeous drape to it once I tried it on. And it did. But it also had huge arm holes, and that key hole, which would require me to layer a cami or tee underneath for modesty. Since it is a million percent humidity here, that just wasn't going to happen any time soon. But doesn't it look amazing with cut-offs (even with my black-and-blue legs from the torture called ASTYM)? So adorable, so my style. The ideal summer momiform. Dang those armholes.

So those were the four items that I liked. The contenders. The fifth one didn't stand a chance. It was a Tulle brand "Benny Short Sleeve Knit Cardigan." It was also orange. I actually tried it on so that I could give my stylist notes about the fit and such, but I knew it would look hideous on me, and it did. Orange turns me yellow. Weird but true. The sweater was actually a very cute style, though, and it fit great. And the truth is, if that sweater has been a flattering color (on me), I would have kept all 5 items in my fix and taken advantage of the 25% discount that you get for keeping the whole lot. So, now that I think about it, I don't know if I should be disappointed or grateful about that orange sweater.

When faced with paying full price, I had to get picky. I ended up keeping the item that I felt fit me the best, and would transition easiest from summer to fall. I kept the racer back (duh!!). And I can confidently say that I am a fan of this service, and I'll be trying it again when they start getting their fall stuff in.

If you want to try Stitch Fix, please click through my referral link! I will get credit toward free stuff if you do, and what girl doesn't appreciate some free stuff? And if you reviewed a fix this summer, post a link in the comments so I can see what you got!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the key-hole tie top! The keyhole doesn't look too revealing. Is it the arms? And can I help you fix it?